About Me

My photo
These paintings are my story. the story behind each one is as important as the painting itself. My work captures the duality of hardness and softness in people. Don't trust happiness,but things will be alright. Using bold colors I lure the viewer into a story of brokeness,fear,and shame. My paintings are successful when they lure people out of a sleepwalk to say"yes, me too". For fifteen years I have painted compulsively and learned through doing how to better tell each story. I paint on wood so that I can work the colors hard using brushes or my hand. I sand through layers of paint to bring colors up from underneath. These paintings are for people who know darkness and appreciate the light.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Uncomfortable.

I don't think I like to be uncomfortable. Lately when I paint I have found myself being uncomfortable. I stand in strange positions. I paint on the floor or on a table. The table is at a strange height and hurts my lower back. I found myself clenching my teeth and biting my tongue. After a couple of hours of painting my mouth is really sore. My studio is getting really messy and I trip a lot over things left on the floor. I think this is just part of my process and may contribute to the style that I use to paint people. I'm not sure I would say my people look uncomfortable but there is something off kilter or "Not Perfect" about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages